- It spreads pretty well; each person infected and not isolated tends to infect another 2-3 people which can lead to an exponential growth in number of cases (currently over 80,000)
- The incubation period is an average of about 5-6 days
- The mortality outside of China is <1% (if you discount Iran which heavily skews the data with 15 deaths from only 95 cases)
- If you put 3000 people in a closed environment with Covid-19 (Diamond Princess cruise ship) 695 people (23%) will get Covid-19
- The World is putting a huge amount of effort into isolating areas with Covid-19 including Hubei province and yesterday Northern Italy
What have we learned so far about Covid-19?
“We have a lady with puerperal fever. She’s 2 days post-delivery and pretty unwell. Critical Care are reviewing her now and we’d like some advice about the best antibiotics to give her” said the Obstetrics Registrar.
Excellent thought the Microbiologist; they’re being proactive about a serious problem.
“If she’s not allergic to anything then IV Benzylpeniciilin and Clindamycin. Have you looked for retained products and done a DNC?” asked the Microbiologist.
“She’s really unwell, we don’t really want to take her to theatre. We might damage the uterus” replied the Registrar.
“She’s unlikely to improve if you don’t,” said the Microbiologist sympathetically. “You need to remove as much infected material as you can. I know it sounds brutal but it’s really important”.
“Okay,” said the Registrar sounding doubtful, “my Consultant is with the patient at the moment so I’ll go and tell them what you have advised. Thanks for your help.”
The Microbiologist put down the phone and put down his pen. Time to visit the obstetric ward and see what is going on…
Happy Valentine's Day! The Love Virus is in the air...
“Chinese media are showing hardworking hero stories, it's Jeong Jae Pung’s wedding anniversary … ‘come home soon’ his sign says [according to the BBC reporter] … his wife is a nurse looking after virus patients and contact with the outside world is forbidden…” (BBC News at 10, 13/02/2020)
So what’s wrong with this picture?
The nurse is on a mobile phone wearing her PPE outside of the hospital, according to the UK’s guidelines it should be removed inside the patient’s room and why is she using her mobile phone?!
This breaches Infection Control policy in so many ways; leading to contamination of the hospital and the wider environment and also exposes this person and their family to the virus. She might as well not bother wearing the PPE at all.
This picture is so crazy it deserves a caption competition, no prizes, just the kudos for being the wittiest reader of the bug blog!
Add your caption below or on Facebook :-)
It’s all over the news; a new deadly plague is spreading across the World in an unstoppable wave of death and disease! Cities are falling, governments are collapsing, mass panic and chaos are ensuing… or at least that’s what the media would have us believe about the novel coronavirus from Wuhan in China. Gosh, it’s reminding me of the game of Pandemic!